Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Queen Victoria Hospital is a specialist NHS hospital providing life-changing reconstructive surgery, burns care and rehabilitation services for people across the South of England. It is a centre of excellence, with an international reputation for pioneering advanced techniques and treatments.
The course, previously held at the McIndoe Surgical Centre, has now moved to the Queen Victoria Hospital, allowing allows us to provide small-group teaching of non-surgical facial rejuvenation techniques in a specialist, professional, clinical environment.
Queen Victoria Hospital Heritage
QVH is proud of its history and heritage. The origins of the hospital date back to 1863 when the East Grinstead Cottage Hospital was founded. Following a number of incarnations as a small community hospital, the Queen Victoria Hospital, as it became known by the 1930s, moved to its current site in 1936.
In 1939, the surgeon Archibald McIndoe started work at the hospital. Less than 10 years later, New-Zealand born McIndoe was knighted in recognition of his pioneering plastic surgery techniques and holistic approach to the treatment of allied aircrew during World War II. These young men, who became known as the ‘Guinea Pigs’, had been badly burned or crushed in their planes, many during the Battle of Britain.
McIndoe’s legacy lives on to this day as QVH remains the regional centre for specialist plastic and reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation. The modern-day QVH burns centre bears McIndoe’s name as does the research foundation that shares our site on Holtye Road and with whom the hospital works closely to continue to develop pioneering techniques for the treatment of burns.